Thursday, June 18, 2009

You've got to fill a bucket or two...

A diary of my day with just 2 buckets of water!

Ok, so I bought my buckets. I am not sure it is cheating, but I went for a medium sized bucket, 10 litres... should be a doddle, I don't use much water anyway. Shower in the morning, cup of tea, bottle of water during the day and a coke at lunch. Easy, I should be able to boil some peas and have a bottle of wine with 15 litres to spare!

So the morning comes and oops, I have a hangover. Not a great start, made much worse by the fact that I can't down a pint of water and take a long shower... Why did I choose today? Oh yes, I remember, it is because there are a few days like this. Note to self, as a service to all the readers of this blog I think I should thoroughly research organic wines and beers at some point.

Right, so I have filled my bucket for a wash, and since I am such a loving husband, I have agreed to share it with my lovely wife (as long as I get first go). HORRIBLE!!!!! Water is not too warm and I still feel soapy. My apologies to anyone reading this over breakfast, in fact, the squeamish should probably look away now. Here is a link to some pictures of lovely kittens and stuff: http://kittenwar.com/kittens/winners/.

Anyway, I used up most of the water and what was left was all soapy by now. I am a considerate husband as well as loving.

Next up was tea... There is no way I am missing out on a cup of tea... another 0.75 litres for a couple of cups. I am starting to realise this might be a bit more tricky that I first imagined.

Now, without going into too much detail (click on the kitten link now!!! It is your only hope!) there is a horrible phrase that goes around some environmental circles that no matter how much I try, I simply can't cope with... If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down (Clearly not invented by Guinness drinkers then - you can't complain, the link to the kittens is up there). So this is going to be tricky, but to baffle you with a few facts, toilets are MONSTERS when it comes to water consumption. Each flush can use as much as 14 litres of water in old ones, and even a new one will use 4 to 6 litres. I am not going to like this. Again, I made sure I was first in the queue and used the rest of the shower water as a sort of flush. NOT NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, over 10 litres down and I am not even out of the house yet!

My ipod hates me! Walking to work I get Ocean Colour Scene and The Waterboys on shuffle. Suddenly I realise that I take water for granted! This is not going to be fun.

Lunch was ok, but I have finished my water. Gulp! (or rather, not!)

YIKES! I need a wee! Toilet has auto flush and I am definitely washing my hands (unlike the other bloke who just walked out of the toilets! DISGUSTING!)

So, mid afternoon, time for a count up... shower and stuff, 5 litres, water, coffee, teas and stuff about 2 litres, that flush and washing hands, let's call it a polite litre. So 7 down and 13 spare.

Think I will celebrate with another coffee...

Now, evening comes and then it hits me. First up is cooking. I decided to use water in the spirit of the challenge, so another litre gone there. Then water with the meal itself and then THE WASHING UP! Stupidly I had decided to use every pot and pan we had in the house and furthermore had spot welded half the dinner to it! I love that burnt flavour!

So suddenly we are down to a couple of litres left and I still need to go to the loo!

So all in all it was a success, but has made me realise how much water we use and waste. In fact I cheated a bit as we would often water the garden, clean the house etc.

So any ideas you have on how to cut down or save it would be welcome. One friend suggested saving the water wasted while waiting for the shower to warm up for watering the plants.

So on to this month!!!!

Also, I have been meaning to tell you about my garden! This year we have been growing vegetables and they are brilliant! We've had radishes and lettuce so far, with potatoes, carrots, onions and beans to come! Which brings me to this weeks challenge and something where you can get involved!

All I would like you to do is grow something (or buys something that grows) and send me a picture! Well when I say that is all, I would like it if you could decorate or 'pimp' your plant pot! This page needs some colour!!! (This idea is unashamedly stolen from Mark Watson's original, but who knows, it might be fun!)

I think that since I have been doing this for nearly a year I am going to try and do a report for the next post as to whether I am better or worse than I was since I started...

41 comments:

heatherroy said...

superb toby - well done on the water thingy... I will think what i can grow but as i kill everything that grows in my appartment it may be kinder not too.....
tatente!
H

janice said...

Well done Toby!!! I must get a bucket so I can follow Libbie's recommendation too & collect the shower water! I've been trying to grow the herb garden you & Sarah gave me but it's not looking too healthy. The only plant of mine that's doing well is my cactus as they thrive on neglect....

Ruth&Floris said...

My herb garden almost died in the summer heat but is being rejuvinated slowly. Hopefully I'll have some tomatoes in a few weeks although I am agriculturally challenged. Husband and I are trying to eat less meat but BBQ season is upon us...

In Sudan we had some water challenges sometimes only have 1 cup of water for washing (not kidding); using washing up water to water plants etc.

Lucy said...

We've managed to grow some sweet peas, and they seem to do ok with not too much water (ie ours have survived with brown patches..). One way of "saving" water is to get a rainwater butt, to collect all that extra water that falls onto the roof - that water can be used for watering the garden.

said...

免費試看av線上a片sogo色論壇性愛自拍視訊辣妹av亞洲辣妹一本道a片辣妹視訊鮑魚俱樂部gogogirl視訊美女sex888入口0951影片成人視訊onelinux視訊交友情人聊天金瓶梅視訊情人影音影音情人金瓶梅

開會討論 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE ........................................

ya said...

對物要珍惜,對事要盡心,對人要感恩。 ..................................................

于名于名 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE.................................................

童紫勳 said...

向小善致敬,它使人生旅程較為平順。........................................

長宜芳修 said...

thanks................................................

賢諭 said...

很喜歡你的blog哦...加油唷 ........................................

惠婷 said...

Govern your thoughts when alone, and your tongue when in company...................................................

蘇pet0701em_halvorsen said...

hello~welcome my world~<. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

祥傑 said...

沒有友情,人生何樂?

偉誠 said...

喜歡看大家的文章,每篇都是一個故事,都是一種心情~~祝大家開心愉快 ........................................

怡谷ShanikaMaxey怡谷 said...

a片子安心亞寫真top1069拓網交友做愛自拍免費情色影片383成人台灣情網影片線上免費av18禁250av女優免費影片旺來出品辣妹寫真鋼管秀bt旺來出品辣妹寫真鋼管秀旺來風情寫真秀-辣妹過招旺來風情寫真秀旺來蓬萊仙山寫真集 vcd旺旺仙貝的狂想境地早洩韭南籽早期歐美a片早期范冰冰照片早春小老婆美女 視訊youtube 影片g世代論壇080視訊聊天室aaaaa片俱樂部影片微風成人情色 網18禁地少女遊戲女生自衛影片免費聊天女同志聊天室成人聊天室性愛日記網交聊天室性愛姿勢免費av影片觀看拓峰交友美女聊天室hbo論壇一夜情視訊聊天室五分鐘護半身視訊美女激情網愛聊天室

于呈均名 said...

請繼續發表好文!加油加油加油!........................................

RochelleP_Higginson瓊文 said...

成功的第一要素是珍惜自己 ............................................................

怡潔 said...

能猜得出女人真實年齡的男人也許耳聰目明,但肯定毫無大腦。哈哈!..................................................................

俊賢 said...

寂寞又無聊 看到你的BLOG 加油喔!!......................................................................

林利 said...

這麼好的部落格,以後看不到怎麼辦啊!!......................................................................

江婷 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。......................................................................

江婷 said...

Poverty is stranger to industry.................................................................

靜宸靜宸 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

香昱信張君林 said...

quite touching~~~thx for sharing..................................................................

溫緯李娟王季 said...

我真心在追求我的夢想時,每一天都是繽紛的。因為我知道每一個小時都是實現理想 的一部份。..................................................

文辰文辰 said...

天道酬勤,blog也是!相信你的用心會讓你更受歡迎的............................................................

許志宏許志宏 said...

下次再來希望可以看到新的作品喔。............................................................

蔡靜芳蔡靜芳 said...

雖天地之大,萬物之多,而惟吾蜩翼之知。..................................................

楊儀卉 said...

先為別人的快樂著想,是超人;先為自己的快樂著想,是凡人;使別人不快樂,自己也不快樂的,是笨人。..................................................

穆靜謝苡帆如 said...

百發百中不是一試就成的。..................................................

毛彥宇毛彥宇 said...

Joy shared with others are more enjoyed.............................................................

林宗羅嘉菱達 said...

心中醒,口中說,紙上作,不從身上習過,皆無用也。.......................................................

瑤彥妏德 said...

我的痛苦會停止,但求我的心能征服它。................................................

淑張福 said...

要保持更新呦,加油!!!期待你的新文章!!!............................................................

瑞陳彥 said...

may the blessing be always with you!!............................................................

峻胡邦慧v帆 said...

謝謝大大分享!!經典!~(。・ω・)............................................................

張王雅竹欣虹 said...

路過留言支持~~~..................................................

佳張張張張燕張張張張張 said...

開心不開心都是一天,祝您能夠笑著面對一切!...............................................................

said...

你文章很棒的~繼續分享給大家~~~~..................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

凡走過必留下痕跡!不留言對不起你!............................................................